呢 (ne) English Meaning
- (question particle for subjects already mentioned)
- particle indicating that a previously asked question is to be applied to the preceding word (‘What about …?’, ‘And …?’)
- particle for inquiring about location (‘Where is …?’)
- particle signaling a pause, to emphasize the preceding words and allow the listener time to take them on board (‘ok?’, ‘are you with me?’)
- (at the end of a declarative sentence) particle indicating continuation of a state or action
- particle indicating strong affirmation
Traditional Character: 呢
What about you?
How about your father?
And what was the reason?
What about me?
Who’s going to believe that?
Whose fault is it?
Stroke Order & Character Components
呢 (ne): (question particle for subjects already mentioned)
- 口 (kǒu): mouth
- 尸 (shī): dead body
- 匕 (bǐ): spoon / man overthrown
- 尼 (ní): Buddhist nun; (often used in phonetic spellings)