开始 (kāi shǐ) English Meaning
- to begin
- to start
Traditional Characters: 開始
开 forms words in:
始 forms words in:
Corresponding Classifiers|Measure Words:
- 個|个 (gè)
Kāishǐ xià xuěle.
It was beginning to snow.
Qiūshōu jíjiāng kāishǐ.
The autumn harvest is about to start.
Kèchéng xià zhōu kāishǐ.
Classes begin next week.
Yóuxì jǐ diǎn kāishǐ?
When does the game begin?
Shénme shíhòu kāishǐ?
When does it begin?
Bā diǎn bàn kāishǐ shàngkè.
Class doesn’t begin until eight-thirty.
Stroke Order & Character Components
开 (kāi): to open; to start; to turn on; to boil; to write out (a prescription, check, invoice, etc.); to operate (a vehicle); carat (gold); abbreviation for Kelvin, 開爾文|开尔文(Kāi ěr wén); abbreviation for 開本|开本(kāi běn), book format
- 一 (yī): one
- 廾 (gǒng): two hands
始 (shǐ): to begin; to start; then; only then
- 女 (nǚ): woman
- 台 (tái): platform; stage; terrace; stand; support; station; broadcasting station; classifier for vehicles or machines; Taiwan (abbr.); surname Tai; Taiwan (abbr.); desk; table; counter
- 厶 (sī): secret
- 口 (kǒu): mouth
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 开
- 开(kāi): to open; to start; to turn on; to operate (vehicle)
- 开始(kāi shǐ): to begin; beginning; to start; initial; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 离开(lí kāi): to depart; to leave
- 开玩笑(kāi wán xiào): to play a joke; to make fun of; to joke
- 开心(kāi xīn): to feel happy; to rejoice; to have a great time; to make fun of somebody
- 公开(gōng kāi): public; to publish; to make public
- 开发(kāi fā): exploit (a resource); open up (for development); to develop
- 开放(kāi fàng): to lift (a ban or restriction); to open to the outside world (politics); to open for public use; to come into bloom (of flowers)
- 开幕式(kāi mù shì): opening ceremony
- 开水(kāi shuǐ): boiled water; boiling water
- 展开(zhǎn kāi): to unfold; to carry out; to be in full swing; to launch
- 召开(zhào kāi): to convene (a conference or meeting); to convoke; to call together
- 敞开(chǎng kāi): wide open; to open up
- 开采(kāi cǎi): to extract (ore or other resource from a mine); to exploit; to mine
- 开除(kāi chú): to expel
- 开阔(kāi kuò): wide; open (spaces); to open up
- 开朗(kāi lǎng): spacious and well-lit; open and clear; to open out (onto a wider vista); optimistic; cheerful; carefree; easy-going; open-minded
- 开明(kāi míng): enlightened; open-minded; enlightenment
- 开辟(kāi pì): to open up; to set up; to start; to build
- 开拓(kāi tuò): to break new ground (for agriculture); to open up (a new seam); to develop (border regions); fig. to open up (new horizons)
- 开展(kāi zhǎn): (begin to) develop; unfold; to start; to launch; to open; to carry out
- 开支(kāi zhī): expenditures; pay; expenses; CL: 筆|笔(bǐ)
- 盛开(shèng kāi): blooming; in full flower
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word