接 (jiē) English Meaning
- to receive
- to answer (the phone)
- to meet or welcome somebody
- to connect
- to catch
- to join
- to extend
- to take one’s turn on duty
- to take over for somebody
Traditional Character: 接
This character forms words in:
wǒ huì qù jiē tā de.
I’ll will go pick him up.
Wǒ míngzǎo bā diǎn lái jiē nǐ.
I’ll call for you at eight tomorrow morning.
Jiào liàng chūzū chē lái jiē wǒmen.
Call a taxicab to take us.
Qǐng nǐ jiētīng yīxià diànhuà, hǎo ma?
Answer the telephone, will you?
Tāmen gāng bān de jiā, hái méi jiē tōng diànhuà.
They’ve just moved and haven’t connected the telephone yet.
Stroke Order & Character Components
接 (jiē): to receive; to answer (the phone); to meet or welcome somebody; to connect; to catch; to join; to extend; to take one's turn on duty; to take over for somebody
- 扌(shou): hand
- 妾 (qiè): concubine; I, your servant (deprecatory self-reference for women)
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 接
- 接(jiē): to receive; to answer (the phone); to meet or welcome somebody; to connect; to catch; to join; to extend; to take one’s turn on duty; take over for somebody
- 接受(jiē shòu): to accept; to receive
- 接着(jiē zhe): to catch and hold on; to continue; to go on to do something; to follow; to carry on; then; after that; subsequently; to proceed; to ensue; in turn; in one’s turn
- 直接(zhí jiē): direct; opposite: indirect 间接; immediate; directly; straightforward
- 接触(jiē chù): to touch; to contact; access; in touch with
- 接待(jiē dài): to receive (a visitor); to admit (allow somebody to enter)
- 接近(jiē jìn): near; close to
- 迎接(yíng jiē): to meet; to welcome; to greet