Tāmen bùdé bù hòu chè.
They had no alternative but to retreat.
Wǒ bùdé bù xiáng shù yīxià.
I cannot forbear from going into details.
Nǐ bùdé bù zhìzào yīxiē jièkǒu.
You’ll have to manufacture some kind of excuse.
Zhèxiē dōu shì nǐ bùdé bù zuò de ma?
Is that all you have to do?
Wǒ bùdé bù rěnshòu tā de huài xíguàn.
I have to bear with his bad habit.
Shāngwáng tài dà, wǒmen bùdé bù chètuì.
We had to retreat because of casualties.
Stroke Order & Character Components
不 (bú): (negative prefix) no, not
- 一 (yī): one
- Unidentified strokes
得 (dé): to obtain; to get; to gain; to catch (a disease); proper; suitable; proud; contented; to allow; to permit; ready; finished;
- 彳 (chì): walk around
- 旦 (dàn): dawn; morning; day-break; day;
- 寸 (cùn): thumb
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 不
- 不但/而且(bù dàn/ ér qiě): not only … but also…
- 不过 (bú guò): only; merely; no more than; but; however; anyway (to get back to a previous topic)
- 不得不 (bù dé bù): have no choice or option but to; cannot but; have to; can’t help it; can’t avoid
- 不管 (bù guǎn): no matter (what, how); regardless of; no matter
- 不仅 (bù jǐn): not only (this one); not just (…) but also
- 差不多 (chà bu duō): almost; nearly; more or less
- 来不及 (lái bu jí): there’s not enough time (to do something); it’s too late (to do something)
- 受不了 (shòu bù liǎo): unbearable; unable to endure; can’t stand
- 不断 (bú duàn): unceasing; uninterrupted; continuous; constant
- 不见得 (bú jiàn de): not necessarily; not likely
- 不耐烦 (bú nài fán): impatience; impatient
- 不要紧 (bú yào jǐn): unimportant; not serious; it doesn’t matter; never mind; it looks all right; but
- 不安 (bù ān): unpeaceful; unstable; uneasy; disturbed; restless; worried
- 不得了 (bù dé liǎo): disastrous; desperately serious; extremely; exceedingly
- 不然 (bù rán): not so; no; or else; otherwise; if not
- 不如 (bù rú): not equal to; not as good as; inferior to; it would be better to
- 不足 (bù zú): insufficient; lacking; deficiency; not enough; inadequate; not worth; cannot; should not
- 怪不得 (guài bu de): lit. you can’t blame it!; no wonder!; so that’s why!
- 看不起 (kàn bu qǐ): to look down upon; to despise
- 了不起 (liǎo bu qǐ): amazing; terrific; extraordinary
- 忍不住 (rěn bu zhù): cannot help; unable to bear
- 舍不得 (shě bu de): to hate to do something; to hate to part with; to begrudge
- 说不定 (shuō bu dìng): can’t say for sure; maybe
- 要不 (yào bù): otherwise; or; or else; how about…? (one choice or the other); either this, or else…
- 爱不释手 (ài bù shì shǒu): to love something too much to part with it (idiom); to fondle admiringly
- 巴不得 (bā bù dé): to be eager for; to long for; to look forward to
- 不顾 (bú gù): in spite of; regardless of
- 不愧 (bú kuì): be worthy of; deserve to be called; prove oneself to be
- 不料 (bú liào): unexpectedly; to one’s surprise
- 不像话 (bú xiàng huà): unreasonable; shocking; outrageous
- 不屑一顾 (bú xiè yī gù): to disdain as beneath contempt
- 不得已 (bù dé yǐ): act against one’s will; have no alternative but to; have to; to have no choice; must
- 不妨 (bù fáng): there is no harm in; might as well
- 不敢当 (bù gǎn dāng): lit. I dare not (accept the honor); fig. I don’t deserve your praise; you flatter me
- 不禁 (bù jīn): can’t help (doing something); can’t refrain from
- 不堪 (bù kān): cannot bear; cannot stand; utterly; extremely
- 不可思议 (bù kě sī yì): inconceivable (idiom); unimaginable; unfathomable
- 不免 (bù miǎn): unavoidable
- 不时 (bù shí): frequently; often
- 不惜 (bù xī): not stint; not spare; not hesitate (to do something); no scruples (to do something)
- 不相上下 (bù xiāng shàng xià): equally matched; about the same
- 不言而喻 (bù yán ér yù): it goes without saying; it is self-evident
- 不由得 (bù yóu de): can’t help; cannot but
- 不择手段 (bù zé shǒu duàn): by fair means or foul; by hook or by crook; unscrupulously
- 不止 (bù zhǐ): incessantly; without end; more than; not limited to
- 层出不穷 (céng chū bù qióng): more and more emerge; innumerable succession; breeding like flies (idiom)
- 川流不息 (chuān liú bù xī): the stream flows without stopping (idiom); unending flow
- 大不了 (dà bù liǎo): at worst; if worst comes to worst; serious; alarming
- 得不偿失 (dé bù cháng shī): (saying) the gains do not make up for the losses
- 供不应求 (gōng bù yìng qiú): supply does not meet demand
- 恨不得 (hèn bu dé): wishing one could do something; to hate to be unable; itching to do something; can’t wait for; to wish one could do something; to desire strongly
- 刻不容缓 (kè bù róng huǎn): to brook no delay; to demand immediate action
- 络绎不绝 (luò yì bù jué): continuously; in an endless stream (idiom)
- 迫不及待 (pò bù jí dài): impatient (idiom); in a hurry; itching to get on with it
- 锲而不舍 (qiè ér bù shě): to chip away at a task and not abandon it (idiom); to chisel away at something; to persevere; unflagging efforts
- 滔滔不绝 (tāo tāo bù jué): unceasing torrent (idiom); talking non-stop; gabbling forty to the dozen
- 微不足道 (wēi bù zú dào): negligible; insignificant
- 无微不至 (wú wēi bù zhì): in every possible way (idiom); meticulous
- 一丝不苟 (yì sī bù gǒu): not one thread loose (idiom); strictly according to the rules; meticulous; not one hair out of place
- 有条不紊 (yǒu tiáo bù wěn): regular and thorough (idiom); methodically arranged
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 得
- 得(de): structural particle: used after a verb (or adjective as main verb), linking it to following phrase indicating effect, degree, possibility, etc.
- 觉得(jué de): to think; to feel
- 记得(jì de): to remember
- 不得不(bù dé bù): have no choice or option but to; cannot but; have to; can’t help it; can’t avoid
- 得(dé): to have to, to need to (particle used to express capability, possibility, degree, effect…); must; ought to; to need to
- 得意(dé yì): proud of oneself; pleased with oneself; complacent
- 获得(huò dé): to obtain; to receive; to get
- 来得及(lái de jí): there’s still time; able to do something in time
- 值得(zhí de): to be worth; to deserve
- 不见得(bú jiàn de): not necessarily; not likely
- 不得了(bù dé liǎo): disastrous; desperately serious; extremely; exceedingly
- 怪不得(guài bu de): you can’t blame it!; no wonder!; so that’s why!
- 舍不得(shě bu de): to hate to do something; to hate to part with; to begrudge
- 显得(xiǎn de): to seem; to look; to appear
- 巴不得(bā bù dé): to be eager for; to long for; to look forward to
- 不得已(bù dé yǐ): act against one’s will; have no alternative but to; have to; to have no choice; must
- 不由得(bù yóu de): can’t help; cannot but
- 得不偿失(dé bù cháng shī): (saying) the gains do not make up for the losses
- 得力(dé lì): able; capable; competent; efficient
- 得天独厚(dé tiān dú hòu): (of an area) rich in resources; (of a person) gifted or able (idiom)
- 得罪(dé zuì): to commit an offense; to violate the law; excuse me! (formal); see also 得得罪(dé zui)
- 恨不得(hèn bu dé): wishing one could do something; to hate to be unable; itching to do something; can’t wait for; to wish one could do something; to desire strongly
- 免得(miǎn de): so as not to; so as to avoid
- 难得(nán dé): seldom; rare; hard to come by
- 心得(xīn dé): knowledge gained; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 一举两得(yì jǔliǎng dé): one move, two gains (idiom); two birds with one stone
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word