严重 (yán zhòng) English Meaning
Traditional Characters: 嚴重
严 forms words in:
重 forms words in:
Is it serious?
Qíngkuàng fēicháng yánzhòng.
The situation is very serious.
Zuóyè yǒu yánzhòng shuāngdòng.
There was a severe frost last night.
Zhège wèntí hěn yánzhòng.
It’s a serious problem.
Jiǔjià shìgè yánzhòng de wèntí.
Drunk driving is a serious problem.
Ěrlóng suànshì yánzhòng de quēxiàn.
Deafness can be a serious handicap.
Stroke Order & Character Components
严 (yán): tight (closely sealed); stern; strict; rigorous; severe; father
- 严 (yán): tight (closely sealed); stern; strict; rigorous; severe; father
- /: unidentified strokes
重 (zhòng): heavy; serious; to attach importance to
- 千 (qiān): thousand
- 里 (lǐ): neighborhood
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 严
- 严肃 (yán sù): solemn; solemnity
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 重
- 重要 (zhòng yào): important; significant; major
- 重新 (chóng xīn): again; once more; re-
- 严重 (yán zhòng): serious; severe; critical; grave
- 重 (zhòng): heavy; serious
- 重点 (zhòng diǎn): emphasis; focal point; priority; key; with the emphasis on; focusing on
- 重视 (zhòng shì): to attach importance to something; to value
- 尊重 (zūn zhòng): esteem; respect; to honor; to value something
- 重复 (chóng fù): to repeat; to duplicate; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 重大 (zhòng dà): important; great; major; significant
- 重量 (zhòng liàng): weight; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 保重 (bǎo zhòng): to take care of oneself
- 比重 (bǐzhòng): proportion; specific gravity
- 沉重 (chén zhòng): heavy; hard; serious; critical
- 重叠 (chóng dié): to overlap; to superimpose; to telescope; to run together; to duplicate; one over another; superposition; an overlap; redundancy; reduplication (in Chinese grammar, e.g. 散散步 (sàn sàn bù) to have a stroll)
- 举足轻重 (jǔzú qīng zhòng): a foot’s move sways the balance (idiom); to hold the balance of power; to play the decisive role
- 隆重 (lóng zhòng): grand; prosperous; ceremonious; solemn
- 任重道远 (rèn zhòng dào yuǎn): a heavy load and a long road; fig. to bear heavy responsibilities through a long struggle (cf Confucian Analects, 8.7)
- 慎重 (shèn zhòng): cautious; careful; prudent
- 郑重 (zhèng zhòng): serious
- 重心 (zhòng xīn): center of gravity; central core; main part
- 注重 (zhù zhòng): to pay attention to; to emphasize
- 庄重 (zhuāng zhòng): grave; solemn; dignified
- 着重 (zhuó zhòng): put emphasis on; to stress; to emphasize
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word