使 (shǐ) English Meaning
- to cause
- to enable
- to use
- to employ
- to make
- to send
- to instruct somebody to do something
Traditional Character: 使
This character forms words in:
Tóushǒu shǐ qiú xuánzhuǎn.
The pitcher gave a spin to the ball.
Zhè qíngjǐng shǐ tā xīnhán.
The sight sent a chill to her heart.
Wǒ dé shǐ bǎobǎo dǎgé.
I need to burp the baby.
Nǐ yúchǔn dé shǐ wǒ hánxīn.
Your stupidity will drive me to despair.
Tā shèfǎ shǐ shōu zhī pínghéng.
He managed to make both ends meet.
Yōushèng zhě bù shǐyòng yàowù.
Winners don’t use drugs.
Stroke Order & Character Components
使 (shǐ): to make; to cause; to enable; to use; to employ; to send; to instruct sb to do sth; envoy; messenger
- 亻 (rén): man
- 吏 (lì): minor government official or functionary (old)
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 使
- 大使馆 (dà shǐ guǎn): embassy; CL: 座(zuò), 個|个(gè)
- 即使 (jí shǐ): even if; even though; given that
- 使 (shǐ): to cause; to enable; to use; to employ; to make; to send; to instruct somebody to do something; envoy; messenger
- 使用 (shǐ yòng): to use; to employ; to apply; to make use of
- 促使 (cù shǐ): to induce; to promote; to urge; to impel; to bring about; to provoke; to drive (somebody to do something); to catalyze; to actuate; to contribute to (some development)
- 使劲儿 (shǐ jìn r): to exert all one’s strength
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word