This Word has 2 Different Pronunciations
倒 (dào) English Meaning
- to move backwards
- to place upside down
- to invert
- to throw out
- as a matter of fact
- contrary to expectation
倒 (dǎo) English Meaning
- to fall
- to collapse
- to lie horizontally
- to overthrow
- to fail
- to go bankrupt
- to change (trains or buses)
- to move around
- to resell at a profit
Tā xià dé máofǎ dǎo shù.
His hair stood on end in fear.
Yàn rén dǎo zhòngrén cǎi.
Everyman for himself.
Yàn qiáng dǎo zhòngrén tuī.
When a man is going down-hill, everyone will give him a push.
Dào guǒzhī qián, xiān bǎ píngzi yáo jǐ xià.
Give the bottle a couple of shakes before pouring the juice.
Dào bēi shuǐ bǎ yàopiàn fàng jìnqù róngjiěle.
Fill a glass with water and dissolve this tablet in it.
Stroke Order & Character Components
- 亻 (rén): man
- 到 (dào): to (a place); until (a time); up to; to go; to arrive; (verb complement denoting completion or result of an action)
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 倒
- 倒 (dào): to move backwards; converse
HSK 5 Word List
- 倒霉 (dǎo méi): have bad luck; be out of luck
- 摔倒 (shuāi dǎo): to fall down; to slip and fall; to throw somebody to the ground;
HSK 6 Word List
- 倒闭 (dǎo bì): to go bankrupt; to close down
- 颠倒 (diān dǎo): to turn upside-down; to reverse; back-to-front; confused; deranged; crazy