对面 (duì miàn) English Meaning
- (sitting) opposite
- across (the street)
- directly in front
- to be face to face
Traditional Characters: 對面
对 forms words in:
面 forms words in:
Huāyuán zài fángzi duìmiàn.
The garden is in front of the house.
Chéngbǎo zài hé de duìmiàn.
The castle is across the river.
Tāmen zhù zài hé duìmiàn.
They live across the river.
Tā jiù zhù zài mǎlù duìmiàn.
He lives just across the road.
Tā zhù zài wǒmen jiē duìmiàn.
He lives across the street from us.
Tā de fángzi zài jiē duìmiàn.
His house is across the street.
Stroke Order & Character Components
对 (duì): right; correct; couple; pair; towards; at; for; to face; opposite; to treat (sb a certain way); to match together; to adjust; to fit; to suit; to answer; to reply; classifier: couple
- ヌ (yòu): still / hand
- 寸 (cùn): thumb
面 (miàn): face; side; surface; aspect; top; classifier for flat surfaces such as drums, mirrors, flags etc; flour; noodles
- 面 (miàn): face
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 对
- 对不起 (duì bu qǐ): I’m sorry; excuse me; pardon me; if you please; sorry? (please repeat); unworthy; to let down
- 对 (duì): towards; at; for; right; correct
- 对话 (duì huà): dialog; CL: 個|个 (gè)
- 对面 (duì miàn): opposite
- 对于 (duì yú): regarding; as far as sth is concerned; with regards to
- 反对 (fǎn duì): to fight against; to oppose; to be opposed to; opposition
- 对比 (duì bǐ): contrast; ratio; CL: 個|个 (gè)
- 对待 (duì dài): to treat; treatment
- 对方 (duì fāng): counterpart; other person involved; opposite side; other side; receiving party
- 对手 (duì shǒu): opponent; adversary; rival; competitor
- 对象 (duì xiàng): target; object; partner; boyfriend; girlfriend; CL: 個|个 (gè)
- 绝对 (jué duì): absolute; unconditional
- 面对 (miàn duì): to confront; to face
- 相对 (xiāng duì): relatively; opposite; to resist; to oppose; relative; vis-a-vis
- 针对 (zhēn duì): to be directed against; to be aimed at; to counter; in the light of; in connection with
- 对策 (duì cè): countermeasure for dealing with a situation
- 对称 (duì chèn): symmetry; symmetrical
- 对付 (duì fu): to handle; to deal with; to cope; to get by with
- 对抗 (duì kàng): to withstand; to resist; to stand off; antagonism; confrontation
- 对立 (duì lì): to oppose; to set sth against; to be antagonistic to; antithetical; relative opposite; opposing; diametrical
- 对联 (duì lián): rhyming couplet; pair of lines of verse written vertically down the sides of a doorway; CL: 幅 (fú)
- 对应 (duì yìng): to correspond; a correspondence; corresponding; homologous; matching with sth; counterpart
- 对照 (duì zhào): to contrast; to compare; to place side by side for comparison (as parallel texts); to check
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 面
- 面条(miàn tiáo): noodles
- 表面(biǎo miàn): surface; face; outside; appearance
- 面对(miàn duì): to confront; to face
- 面积(miàn jī): surface area
- 面临(miàn lín): to face something; to be confronted with
- 片面(piàn miàn): unilateral; one-sided
- 全面(quán miàn): all-around; comprehensive; total; overall
- 侧面(cè miàn): lateral side; side; aspect; profile
- 场面(chǎng miàn): scene; occasion
- 当面(dāng miàn): to somebody’s face; in somebody’s presence
- 反面(fǎn miàn): reverse side of something; opposite side of some topic; the other side
- 局面(jú miàn): aspect; phase; situation
- 面貌(miàn mào): appearance; face; features; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 面子(miàn zi): outer surface; outside; honor; reputation; face (as in ‘losing face’); self-respect; feelings; (medicinal) powder
- 平面(píng miàn): plane (flat surface); print media
- 书面(shū miàn): in writing; written (guarantee, etc.)
- 体面(tǐ miàn): dignity; face (as in ‘losing face’); honorable; creditable; pretty
- 迎面(yíng miàn): directly; head-on (collision); in one’s face (of wind)
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word