干 (gàn) English Meaning
- to do (some work)
- to manage
- to work
- tree trunk
- main part of something
- to kill (slang)
- to f**k (vulgar)
Traditional Character: 幹
This character forms words in:
Nǐ wèn zhège gànshénme?
Why do you ask?
Nǐ juédé zhè shì shì shéi gàn de?
Do you have any idea who would do this?
Tā lièjǔ tā suǒyào gàn de shìqíng.
She listed all the things she has to do.
Cōngmíng rén huì xiū yú gàn zhè zhǒng shì.
A man of sense would be ashamed to do
Jǐng gàn fāng zhī shuǐ kěguì.
Only when the well is dry can we know the value of water.
- 油漆未干, 请勿触摸。
Yóuqī wèi gān, qǐng wù chùmō.
Wet paint, please do not touch.
Stroke Order & Character Components
干 (gàn): tree trunk; main part of something; to manage; to work; to do; capable; cadre; to kill (slang); to f**k (vulgar)
- 干(gàn): dry
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 干
- 干净(gān jìng): neat and tidy; clean
- 饼干(bǐng gān): biscuit; cracker; cookie; CL: 片(piàn), 块(kuài)
- 干杯(gān bēi): to drink a toast; Cheers! (proposing a toast); Here’s to you!; Bottoms up!; lit. dry cup
- 干(gàn): to do (some work); to manage; to work
HSK 5 Word List
- 干脆(gān cuì): straightforward; clear-cut; blunt (e.g. statement); you might as well; simply
- 干燥(gān zào): to dry (of weather, paint, cement, etc.); desiccation; dull; uninteresting; arid
- 干活儿(gàn huó r): to work manually; manual labor
- 能干(néng gàn): capable; competent
HSK 6 Word List
- 才干(cái gàn): ability; competence
- 干旱(gān hàn): drought; arid; dry
- 干扰(gān rǎo): to interfere; obstruction
- 干涉(gān shè): to interfere; to meddle; interference
- 干预(gān yù): to meddle; to intervene; intervention
- 干劲(gàn jìn): enthusiasm for doing something
- 骨干(gǔgàn): diaphysis (long segment of a bone); fig. backbone
- 若干(ruò gān): a certain number or amount; how many?; how much?
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word