当 (dāng) English Meaning
- to be
- match equally
- just at (a time or place)
- on the spot
- just at
Traditional Character: 當
This character forms words in:
Jiù dāng zàijiā yì yàng.
Make yourself at home.
Dāng zhèngkè dé liǎnpí hòu.
You need a thick skin to be a politician.
Tā fēicháng xiǎng dāng kou yì.
She has a strong wish to work as an interpreter.
Wǒ xiǎng dāng tǐyù jìzhě.
I want to be a sport reporter.
Tā dāng tuīxiāo yuán wéi shēng.
He makes a living as a salesman.
Tā yǐ dāng lǎoshī wéi shēng.
He earned his living as a teacher.
Stroke Order & Character Components
当 (dāng): to act as; to be; manage; withstand; when; during; ought; should; match equally; equal; same; obstruct; just at (a time or place); on the spot; right; just at
- ⺌ (xiǎo): small
- 彐 (jì): snout
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 当
- 当然(dāng rán): of course; without doubt; only natural; as it should be; certainly
- 当(dāng): to be; manage; withstand; when; during; ought; should; match equally; equal; same; obstruct; just at (a time or place); on the spot; right; just at
- 当时(dāng shí): then; at that time; while
- 当地(dāng dì): local; in the locality
- 当心(dāng xīn): to take care; to look out
- 上当(shàng dàng): taken in (by somebody’s deceit); to be fooled; to be duped
- 相当(xiāng dāng): equivalent to; appropriate; considerably; to a certain extent; fairly
- 不敢当(bù gǎn dāng): lit. I dare not (accept the honor); fig. I don’t deserve your praise; you flatter me
- 充当(chōng dāng): to serve as; to act as; to play the role of
- 当场(dāng chǎng): at the scene; on the spot
- 当初(dāng chū): at that time; originally
- 当代(dāng dài): the present age; the contemporary era
- 当面(dāng miàn): to somebody’s face; in somebody’s presence
- 当前(dāng qián): current; today’s; modern; present; to be facing (us)
- 当事人(dāng shì rén): persons involved or implicated; party (to an affair)
- 当务之急(dāng wù zhī jí): top priority job; matter of vital importance
- 当选(dāng xuǎn): be elected
- 理所当然(lǐsuǒdāng rán): as it should be by rights (idiom); proper and to be expected as a matter of course; inevitable and right
- 恰当(qià dàng): appropriate; suitable
- 妥当(tuǒdang): appropriate; proper; ready
- 正当(zhèng dāng): honest; reasonable; fair; sensible; timely; just (when needed)