指 (zhǐ) English Meaning
- to point at or to
- to indicate or refer to
- to depend on
- to count on
- (of hair) to stand on end
Traditional Character: 指
This character forms words in:
Wǒ zài guówài zhǐpàile.
I was abroad on an assignment.
Nǐ gāngcái zhǐ de shì shénme?
What were you alluding to just now?
Miáozhǔn zhǐ de xíngwéi huò shìlì.
The act or an instance of pointing.
Bù, wǒmen tōngcháng zhǐ gōngdùn.
We normally refer to metric tons.
Zhǐzhe biérén shì bù lǐmào de.
It is rude to point at others.
Luópán de zhǐzhēn yǒngyuǎn zhǐxiàng běifāng.
A compass needle points to the north.
Stroke Order & Character Components
指 (zhǐ): finger; to point at or to; to indicate or refer to; to depend on; to count on; (of hair) to stand on end
- 扌 (shou): hand
- 旨 (zhǐ): imperial decree; purport; aim; purpose
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 指
- 指 (zhǐ): finger; to point at or to; to indicate or refer to; to depend on; to count on; (of hair) to stand on end
- 戒指 (jiè zhi): (finger) ring
- 手指 (shǒu zhǐ): finger; CL: 個|个(gè), 只(zhī)
- 指导 (zhǐ dǎo): to guide; to give directions; to direct; to coach; guidance; tuition; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 指挥 (zhǐ huī): commander; to command; to conduct; to direct; director; conductor (of an orchestra); CL: 個|个(gè)
- 指标 (zhǐ biāo): norm; index; target
- 指定 (zhǐ dìng): to appoint; to assign; to indicate clearly and with certainty; designated
- 指甲 (zhǐ jia): fingernail
- 指令 (zhǐ lìng): order; command; instruction
- 指南针 (zhǐ nán zhēn): compass
- 指示 (zhǐ shì): to point out; to indicate; to instruct; directives; instructions; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 指望 (zhǐ wàng): to hope for something; to count on; hope
- 指责 (zhǐ zé): to criticize; to find fault with; to denounce
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word