留 (liú) English Meaning
- to retain
- to stay
- to remain
- to keep
- to preserve
- to leave (e.g. a message)
Traditional Character: 留
This character forms words in:
Liú zài zhèlǐ děng tā.
Stay here and wait for her.
Tā yào nǐ liú zài zhèlǐ.
He wants you to stay here.
Gěi wǒ liú diǎn bīngqílín.
Leave me a bit of ice cream.
Wǒ xiǎng gěi tāngmǔ liú gè yán
I’d like to leave a message for Tom.
Nǐ háishì liú zài zhè’er ba.
You would do well to stay here.
Wǒ xiǎng wǒ zuì hǎo liú zài zhèlǐ.
I think I’d better stay here.
Stroke Order & Character Components
留 (liú): to leave (a message, etc.); to retain; to stay; to remain; to keep; to preserve
- 卯(mǎo): mortise (slot cut into wood to receive a tenon); 4th earthly branch: 5-7 a.m., 2nd solar month (6th March-4th April), year of the Rabbit
- 田(tián): field
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 留
- 留学(liú xué): to study abroad
- 留(liú): to retain; to stay; to remain; to keep; to preserve; to leave (e.g. a message)
- 保留(bǎo liú): to preserve; to maintain; to retain; to continue to have; to reserve; reservations; to hold back (approval or acceptance)
- 残留(cán liú): to remain; left over; surplus; remnant
- 拘留(jū liú): to detain (a prisoner); to keep somebody in custody
- 留恋(liú liàn): reluctant to leave; to hate to have to go; to recall fondly
- 留念(liú niàn): to keep as a souvenir; to recall fondly
- 留神(liú shén): to take care; to be careful
- 遗留(yí liú): (leave or be a) legacy; left over; hand down (to next generation)
- 滞留(zhì liú): to detain; retention