而 (ér) English Meaning
- yet (not)
- as well as
- and so
- but (not)
- (indicates causal relation)
- (indicates change of state)
- (indicates contrast)
Traditional Character: 而
This character forms words in:
Gǔ shēng píngwěn ér huǎnmàn.
The beat of the drum was steady and slow.
Xīn yǒuyú ér lì bùzú.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Rúcǐ tòngqiè ér qīngxī!
So poignant and clear!
Shèng nǎi zuìhòu yī tiǎn ér guāng.
One last lick andthe milk was gone.
Tā de tóufǎ cháng ér měilì.
Her hair is long and beautiful.
Stroke Order & Character Components
而 (ér): and; as well as; and so; but (not); yet (not); (indicates causal relation); (indicates change of state); (indicates contrast)
- 而 (ér): and
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 而
- 不但…而且… (bù dàn …ér qiě …): not only .. but also..
- 而(ér): yet (not); and; as well as; and so; but (not); (indicates causal relation); (indicates change of state); (indicates contrast)
- 然而(rán ér): however; yet; but
HSK 5 Word List
- 从而(cóng ér): thus; thereby
- 反而(fǎn ér): instead; on the contrary; contrary (to expectations)
- 因而(yīn ér): therefore; as a result; thus; and as a result, …
HSK 6 Word List
- 半途而废(bàn tú ér fèi): to give up halfway (idiom); leave something unfinished
- 不言而喻(bù yán ér yù): it goes without saying; it is self-evident
- 而已(ér yǐ): that’s all; nothing more
- 进而(jìn ér): and then (what follows next)
- 侃侃而谈(kǎn kǎn ér tán ): to speak frankly with assurance;
- 锲而不舍(qiè ér bù shě): to chip away at a task and not abandon it (idiom); to chisel away at something; to persevere; unflagging efforts
- 时而(shí ér): occasionally; from time to time
- 总而言之(zǒng ér yán zhī): in short; in a word; in brief