Nǐ yīnggāi dàoqiàn.
You’ve got to apologize.
Tā dàfāng dì dàoqiàn.
She had the decency to apologize.
Méiyǒu bìyào dàoqiàn.
There’s no need to apologize.
Xiànzài dàoqiàn yě chíle.
It’s too late to apologize.
Nín gāi wèi nín de cūlǔ dàoqiàn.
You should apologize for your rudeness.
Wǒ bìxū xiàng Ann dàoqiàn.
I must apologize to Ann.
Stroke Order & Character Components
道 (dào): direction; way; road; path; CL: 條|条(tiáo), 股(gǔ); principle; truth; morality; reason; skill; method; Dao (of Daoism); to say; to speak; to talk; classifier for long thin things (rivers, cracks, etc.), barriers (walls, doors, etc.), questions (in an exam, etc.), commands, courses in a meal, steps in a process; province (of Korea or Japan)
- 辶 (chuò): brisk walking
- 首 (shǒu): head
歉 (qiàn): to apologize; to regret; deficient
- 兼 (jiān): double; twice; simultaneous; holding two or more (official) posts at the same time
- 欠 (qiàn): tired
Links to all HSK Words & Lists Containing 道
- 知道(zhī dào): to know; to be aware of
- 街道(jiē dào): street; CL: 条(tiáo)
- 道歉(dào qiàn): to apologize; to make an apology
- 难道(nán dào): don’t tell me…; could it be that…?
- 味道(wèi dào): flavor; smell; hint of
- 报道(bào dào): report; to report (new); CL: 篇(piān), 份(fèn)
- 打交道(dǎjiāo dào): to come into contact with; to have dealings
- 道德(dào dé): virtue; morality; ethics; moral; CL: 种(zhǒng)
- 道理(dào lǐ): reason; argument; sense; principle; basis; justification; CL: 個|个(gè)
- 地道(dì dao): real; pure; genuine; typical; well-done; thorough
- 频道(pín dào): frequency; (television) channel
- 霸道(bà dào): overbearing; tyranny; (of liquor, medicine, etc.) strong; potent; the Way of the Hegemon, abbr. of 霸王之道; despotic rule; rule by might; evil as opposed to the Way of the King 王道
- 赤道(chì dào): equator (of the earth or astronomical body)
- 东道主(dōng dào zhǔ): host; official host (e.g. venue for games or a conference)
- 公道(gōng dào): justice; fairness; public highway
- 轨道(guǐdào): orbit; railway or tram line; fig. conventional way of thinking
- 渠道(qú dào): irrigation ditch; medium or channel of communication
- 人道(rén dào): human sympathy; humanitarianism; humane; the ‘human way’, one of the stages in the cycle of reincarnation (Buddhism); sexual intercourse
- 任重道远(rèn zhòng dào yuǎn): a heavy load and a long road; fig. to bear heavy responsibilities through a long struggle (cf Confucian Analects, 8.7)
- 隧道(suì dào): tunnel
- 微不足道(wēi bù zú dào): negligible; insignificant
*CL: Classifier/Measure Word